Thursday, February 5, 2009

Proverbs 9

I want to think more. I think the best way for me to practice thinking more is to do some writing. I don't know for sure where to start writing. So for now I'm going to be posting my reflections on the scripture that I'm reading. At the moment, I'm reading through Proverbs with a friend of mine, so I'll pick up where I am with him in Proverbs 9.

Wisdom is personified as a woman calling out to those who don't know her.
"3..she calls From the tops of the heights of the city: 4 Whoever is naive, let him turn in here!" This verse is particularly eye-catching for me. I can really picture wisdom calling out, setting up a billboard on the top of a hill so that everyone can hear her messages. Actually if we read back a bit in the chapter to verse 1, we see that its more than just a flimsy billboard, she builds a house with seven columns. Usually anything with seven is associated with perfection. So she builds the perfect house designed to be eye-catching and attractive. She does it so that the whole city can hear her. She makes herself as available as she can so that everyone has a chance to hear and come to her. She sends out her maidens to draw citizens into her house. Citizens who don't know what they're missing. They're naive, they think they're OK but they're not. They don't realize what amazing things are available for them inside the house.

I think this passage is pretty clearly pointing to Christ. Just like wisdom, Christ has built a perfect house for us in heaven. Its a place full of provision that will fill us completely. He calls out to everyone that they would be saved. That they would be able to avoid the destruction that they're falling naively towards. He sends His servants out to draw those who are on the fringe into His presence.

Oh that I would hear Christ's call to His house.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the insight, Doug! May we be lured away by His billboard and none other.

    ReplyDelete