Monday, February 23, 2009

Proverbs 14

4Where no oxen are, the manger is clean, But much revenue comes by the strength of the ox.
Sometimes its a bit messy to include the help you need to be successful. I love the word picture this creates. I once had to muck out a horse-barn that hadn't been mucked all summer. It was a back-breaking, stinky, stifling, messy job. But we couldn't have enjoyed the summer to that point without the horses to carry us through the mountain trails. Same goes for my efforts now. Its hard work to involve other people in Ministry. I have to spend time with them, pray, and care for them. Be involved in their lives when they suffer trial and temptation. Yet the benefit is obvious: more people called to Christ through multiplying the hands that serve. Working with people can get messy. Heck even when I'm the source of the mess ;). But the gain to be had is worth it.

20The poor is hated even by his neighbor, But those who love the rich are many. 21He who despises his neighbor sins, But happy is he who is gracious to the poor.
Alright be honest, haven't you looked down a little on those less fortunate than you. I know I have. I know these verses are clearly discussing monetary wealth, but I can't help thinking of spiritual poverty in this context too. I know I often want to be with the spiritually mature instead of the immature. Its less work, and more interesting. I can feed off them and be lifted up, or at least that's what I try to convince myself of. Instead by withholding Christ from my spiritually impoverished neighbor, I show my hate of him. Look at Jesus, He came to Earth and surrounded Himself with the spiritually poor. He even lowered Himself to talk to wretched me. How can I expect to be happy/fulfilled without reaching out to those who don't know Him.

26In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And his children will have refuge. 27The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, That one may avoid the snares of death.
It is good to have a fear of the Lord. The God of the Bible is a God of Justice. He will come again to punish those who rejected Him, and reward those who followed Him. Having a healthy fear of God, knowing what He is capable of, should drive us to avoiding His wrath. Death is a snare trying to trip up and capture us. Instead we can have strong confidence in knowing God and knowing what He is going to do. We can be confident that just as He will judge sinners, He will also forever protect His children.

If you doubt at all that God has brought you into His protection, through the atoning sacrifice of His Son, please I beg of you, recognize that your Sin is real. You are at War with God by pursuing your way through life. Call on Christ to be the perfect peace offering between you and God, and commit yourself to following Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment