Thursday, February 12, 2009

A friend of mine died last week

I found out about it two days ago, and I've been pretty sad. I was sad partly because I dearly love my friend's parents. He was a cool guy, but I was and am much closer to them. They are strong believers and set an example for my wife and I of what a Godly marriage and family should look like.

I was sad because I didn't know whether my friend was a believer or not. How horrible it is to be a parent, who loves the Lord, and has worked hard for years to love and teach your children the Truth, and yet loose your child without knowing his eternal state. We went to the funeral today thinking that my friends parents were suffering under this despicable burden. I was even questioning God's goodness. Trying to understand why He would take such faithful people through this gutter of pain.

Praise God that their son was a believer, and they are confident in his eternal destination. My friend had been struggling for a while with depression and though its very sad to loose him, He's with his Maker now who has delivered him from this often painful earthly existence. I'm also thankful that I'm studying James 1 right now. I was crying out for wisdom to understand this trial, and the Lord provided it. The trial still hurts. My friend is gone, and I can't help feel a little responsible, maybe if I'd reached out a little more... But God has proven yet again that His word is trustworthy. He will provide wisdom to help us get through the trials.

One of the songs that was sang at the service was: "All my Tears" by Julie Miller. Its a mournful song, but the lyrics are hopeful. Once hearing the good news about my friend, I felt like the song communicated how I felt, and how I hope people will feel when I leave this current world.

When I go don't cry for me
In my fathers arms I'll be
The wounds this world left on my soul
Will all be healed and I'll be whole

Sun and moon will be replaced
With the light of Jesus' face
And I will not be ashamed
For my savior knows my name

It don't matter where you bury me
I'll be home and I'll be free
It don't matter where I lay
All my tears be washed away

Gold and silver blind the eye
Temporary riches lie
Come and eat from heaven's store
Come and drink and thirst no more

So weep not for me my friend
When my time below does end
For my life belongs to him
Who will raise the dead again

If you are reading this and don't know for sure whether or not God would let you into His Heaven, then please right now tell God that you know your sin is evil and that you're ready to accept His merciful sacrifice of His son to forgive your sin. Ask Him to be Lord over your life instead of yourself. If there's any chance that you are relying on your own good works, or your lineage, or just being American, know that these things don't save you. Only God's great Mercy can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment