Monday, February 23, 2009

Proverbs 13

4The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing,But the soul of the diligent is made fat.
I frequently see myself in the first part of this couplet, and only by God's grace do I occasionally find myself in the latter. My life is always moving in cycles. I'm currently at an upswing in productivity, this blog is a result, but just a few weeks ago I lazily craved more involvement with my mind, faith, and family and yet those desires didn't produce action. It wasn't until I was diligent that I got what I wanted. Its such a cultural lie that we all buy into, that kicking back to go the easy route is the way to gain. Look how many game shows and lotteries we have. I pray that I would stay on the second half of this verse and not cycle back to the first half.

13The one who despises the word will be in debt to it, But the one who fears the commandment will be rewarded. 14The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, To turn aside from the snares of death.
It seems so plain that if I would come to the wise word I would have the abundance that I seek. I would have a fountain that constantly replenishes itself rewarding me for obediently listening. I would avoid pain, even death if I would consult the teaching of the wise. To do these things I have to find where the wise is. I must read the Scriptures since they are glimpse of God's wisdom. I should pursue books, both contemporary and ancient, that describe the human condition and Christ's role of redemption. I must heed the warnings to break out of the cycle of laziness.

20He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm.
My mother would often warn me that the company I kept would be a reflection of who I am. I know there were times in my life, even my dating life, where I thought I could bring change to someone just by hanging around with them and talking with them. That change rarely if ever happened. Usually because I was too busy trying to be liked by them to represent something different and worth emulating. Eventually their lifestyle and thoughts would rub off on me like those old ditto papers did in elementary school. Instead I need to obey this word and find wise company, from Godly men and women, both living and dead. I should listen to their ways and words to emulate them, as they emulate Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment