Monday, March 9, 2009

Proverbs 17: 14 Breaching the Dam

14 Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.

Do you remember that scene in the first Superman movie when the earthquake causes the damn to burst and the water rushes out on the town below? Or in Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers when the Ents break down the dam that Saruman had constructed and the rush of water destroys all of Isengard?
How many times have I started a small argument just to enjoy the debate and instead opened up a flood that I couldn't stop. Or when I'm a little tired or hungry I'm short with my wife or a friend and realize that I've just smashed the toothpaste out of the tube and can't put it back. I need to be wary of the destruction that a quarrel can cause and seek to smooth over the peccadilloes to save energy for the calm, well-reasoned debates that are worth having.

I must protect my marriage and my growing relationship with my children to ensure that they are not swept away in a torrent of angry, useless words.

No comments:

Post a Comment