Monday, March 9, 2009

Brothers in Adversity (Proverbs 17:17)

17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Have you ever known someone that you could go to anything with, that they would tell you the right and wrong of it, and still be there to stand by you. Had friends that were closer than your family? Known fellowship in a way that allowed your mates to drop by unannounced at any time day or night. Trusted somebody that would hold you up in your darkest times to come, because you and they'd been there before. Isn't it freeing to be in relationships like that?

I have had the privilege of such closeness when I was in college, and since then in my marriage. I long for relationships like that again. I feel like it was a glimpse of what Heaven will be like where we can fellowship with our Lord and each other forever.

I pray that I would seek to know Christ as that loving friend and brother in adversity. I pray that I can be Christ to others in this way.

1 comment:

  1. i believe that deep down God created us to desire intimate relationships and brothers/sisters like you describe. Fear often hinders us as well as putting our security only on the King. I also ask myself often, am I being a friend and making myself friend-worthy?

    ReplyDelete