Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hebrews 1:4-6 Jesus is greater than the angels

Hebrews 1:4-6 "4having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs. 5For to which of the angels did God ever say, "You are my Son, today I have begotten you"? Or again, "I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son"? 6And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God’s angels worship him.""

Observation/Interpretation:
  • Jesus is greater than all others. The author of Hebrews will start comparing/contrasting Jesus with Angels, and then move on to Moses and the Law.
  • In this passage Jesus is better than angels because:
    1. Jesus has a better name. His name means "the Lord saves" This is a better name than Angel which is the word for messenger. If you're in deep trouble, wouldn't you rather have someone who can actually save you than someone who just tells you a message about it?
    2. Jesus is God's son. That's way better than an angel. Angels are not in the family of God, but are mere servants. Jesus is both God and the Son in the Trinity. This position is far higher than the angels
    3. Lastly Jesus is worshiped by the angels. Clearly the greater is worshiped by the lesser.
Application:
  • Jesus is the greatest! I must worship Him.
  • Jesus saves! I want to tell others about Him, and I want to know that I am saved. By the way what am I needing saving from? The wrath of God that I've earned by treasonously sinning against God the King (Luke 13). I can attain that salvation by repenting and believing. (Rom 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment