Monday, May 4, 2009

Re-Energized

Sometimes I feel like I'm not attending the right church. And maybe just that sentence is enough to point out the problem. Church isn't just some building I show up at on Sunday mornings. Church should be something I live out every day through fellowship with believers in my community. Church should be sharing Jesus' love through serving others that can't return my service. Church should be about discipling others. Church should be loving and caring for my family.

Its so easy for me to be critical of the Sunday service. I feel like its in my gift to point out where people can improve. (Of course I rarely point that gift at myself ;). I've been feeling pretty negative about the sermons in particular for the last year or so, and I've realized that I'm even getting bitter about them. I know Jesus is not interested in me being bitter towards my brothers who are working hard to preach.

God kicked me in the pants this week when an old friend of mine preached at my church. He spoke about Matthew 28:19,20, aka "The Great Commission." He said we should be studying Jesus' life and learning how He discipled His followers with stories, miracles, and formal doctrinal instruction. I need to be intentional to share stories of my life that witness to God's Grace. I want to serve others who can't repay my service as a demonstration of the miracle of the Spirit's leading and prompting in my life. I want to teach others the amazing depth and glory of the Theology of God.

I feel excited to get back in the game and disciple people, and to give up being bitter. God has called me where I am, and I will serve Him.

1 comment:

  1. amen bro. I often find if there is a problem with "church" the problem is me. "Wherever I go, there I am" the old saying goes. Appreciate you processing the struggle. Let's work together on presenting ourselves humbly to hear His voice in church every day. With you...

    ReplyDelete