Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Life is short, Come to Christ

Another friend of mine has died.

I'm sad. I'm sad for my friend's wife. He wasn't a believer. Or at least I don't think he was. He didn't claim to be. In fact he claimed the opposite. My friend's wife is a baby Christian. I'm praying that this tragedy drives her to the Lord, to rely on His strength, and not on her own. I hope I can respond to the Spirit's prompting and help her in any way I can.

I visited my friend in the hospital a couple of times. The last time, I shared the Gospel with him. I tried to call him to believe in Christ and not in his own efforts. I am sad that I did not try harder to convince him that he needed Jesus now, because he might not make it through the next series of surgeries. Instead I joined him in his assumption that he would return from surgery and have more opportunity to study Christianity and make a decision later.

We were both wrong, and now he's gone.

Since I found out about his passing I've been pleading with the Lord in hopes that He saved my friend before he died. But thus far I have no expectation of an 11th hour reprieve. I'm not God so I don't know for sure though.

Please, if you're reading this post, come to Christ. Don't depend on your good works to earn your way into heaven. Its not what you do that pays your debt. It's the blood of Jesus who died for our sins that is the only acceptable currency to God. Of course true faith will result in "..Good works that God has prepared for us." But these works testify to your love of Jesus. They don't make Him love you.

Please, don't wait. Time is slipping away every moment. This night of sleep could be your last. Don't risk your eternity.

1 comment: