Monday, March 14, 2011

1 John 1:1-4

Ever since my friend pointed out that Jesus makes His power known through His humility, I have been so challenged to follow His example. Especially at work where I don't always get along with people above me. So instead of dwelling on that, I'm going to turn to scripture and focus on Jesus and who He is, and how He revealed Himself.

"1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. 2 The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. 3 We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4 We write this to make our joy complete."

John always puts Jesus in the preeminent position. He says that Jesus was from the beginning. John then says that "we" not just John, but some group of people, heard, saw, and touched Jesus. Sounds like pretty strong evidence to His existence to me. John says he and his compatriots saw Jesus and proclaim eternal life as a result of that experience. Eternal life seems to be a person in this context. The person of Jesus. John says he and his compatriots proclaim what they have learned. They don't just chit-chat about it, they don't merely talk about it. They proclaim it, they teach it. And they do it so that others may join them in fellowship with the Lord. Not so that John and his friends can rule over others, but that their Joy may be complete. Complete! Finished joy because they tell others about Jesus.

That is what I should focus on, not being annoyed at people lessoning my contributions at work.

Jesus, make my Joy complete by giving me the courage and opportunity to tell others what you have done for me. Saved me, a wretched sinner from the hell I so justly earned. Even today you died for the sin of anger and 'murder in my heart' that I committed. You save not just what I've done, but what I will do.

You are eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment